"I will go down as the voice of this generation of this decade." That assertion, allegedly made by Kanye West during a recent interview, provoked faux news pundit Stephen Colbert to declare war on the notoriously vainglorious rapper on last night’s episode of Comedy Central’s The Colbert Report. In addition to calling West a "sunglasses display mannequin," Colbert dissed his vocal style: "With all the Auto-Tuning on your records, you’re barely the voice of your own albums." That’s why, at exactly 5 p.m. today, he urged viewers to purchase his new holiday CD, A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All, from iTunes in an effort to crush West’s famously huge ego by knocking his latest disc, 808s & Heartbreak, from the No. 1 spot on their Top Albums chart. Newsflash: Britney Spears already beat him to it with her new CD, Circus, and I doubt he has the manpower to topple her sales. Still, it’ll be fun to watch his reaction tonight when the numbers are in. Meantime, just in case you missed it, here’s the must-see clip from last night’s show.
Stephen Colbert vs. Kanye West: It's war!
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Gone Girl' review: Put it on the 'A' list
- 'Friends' A to Z: Saluting a TV classic on its 20th anniversary
- 'Saturday Night Live' cast changes: Tracking 40 years of turnover
- Andrew J. West (a.k.a. mysterious baddie Gareth) talks 'Walking Dead'
- Jeff Probst's 'Survivor' scouting report: 3 pairs to keep an eye on
- 'Good Wife'; 'Boardwalk Empire'; 'Masters of Sex'; 'Real Housewives of N.J.'; 'Outlander'; 'Doctor Who' recaps
- 10 essential graphic novels that have faced bans and challenges
- 'Sleepy Hollow' sneak peek: Ichabod Crane meets a naked Ben Franklin