With Amy Winehouse‘s career in the toilet, 2008 was all about the search for the next big throwback soul sensation. Duffy, Adele, and Robin Thicke dropped hot retro singles, but only Raphael Saadiq released a truly cohesive and thoroughly enjoyable body of work that pays tribute to the golden era of iconic soul labels like Motown, Stax, and Hot Wax. From start to finish, the former Tony! Toni! Toné! frontman’s critically acclaimed yet commercially overlooked third studio CD, The Way I See It, is a foot-tapping, finger-snapping delight–and he’s got three Grammy nominations to prove it, including a nod for Best R&B Album. If you’re still looking for a last-minute stocking stuffer, this is it.
Raphael Saadiq's 'The Way I See It': Most overlooked CD of the year
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Survivor' recap: John Rocker gets rocked
- Fall TV poll: First canceled show of 2014?
- 'Stalker' series premiere: Giving us the creeps
- 9 best animated TV series drawn from comics
- 'How to Get Away with Murder': Odds each of 10 suspects is a killer
- 'AHS: Freak Show' unveils creepy, stop-motion title sequence
- 'Once Upon a Time' sneak peek: Storybrooke's on thin ice with Elsa
- 'Top Chef Duels'; 'Red Band Society': Wednesday TV recaps
- 'The Walking Dead' star Emily Kinney says there's 'definitely a connection' between Beth and Daryl 506
- 'Go Big or Go Home' 357
- 'Find Your Muse' 289
- The 'Simpsons'/'Family Guy' crossover is one of the most fascinatingly weird things to ever happen to television 325
- 'Saturday Night Live' premiere recap: This is the start of something new (and odd) 251
Top 5 Most Read
- Which new fall show will be canceled first?
- 'Once Upon a Time' sneak peek: Elsa puts Storybrooke on lockdown
- 'Vampire Diaries': Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev talk Damon and Elena
- Zach Galifianakis rips January Jones: 'Everybody's going to forget about you in a few years'
- Ryan Murphy debuts creepy, stop-motion 'AHS: Freak Show' main titles