With Amy Winehouse‘s career in the toilet, 2008 was all about the search for the next big throwback soul sensation. Duffy, Adele, and Robin Thicke dropped hot retro singles, but only Raphael Saadiq released a truly cohesive and thoroughly enjoyable body of work that pays tribute to the golden era of iconic soul labels like Motown, Stax, and Hot Wax. From start to finish, the former Tony! Toni! Toné! frontman’s critically acclaimed yet commercially overlooked third studio CD, The Way I See It, is a foot-tapping, finger-snapping delight–and he’s got three Grammy nominations to prove it, including a nod for Best R&B Album. If you’re still looking for a last-minute stocking stuffer, this is it.
Raphael Saadiq's 'The Way I See It': Most overlooked CD of the year
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Manhattan Love Story' is first fall show to be canceled
- 'Constantine' series premiere; 'Amazing Race'; more TV recaps
- Monica Potter describes her perfect 'Parenthood' ending
- 'Justified' season 6 teaser welcomes Raylan back for his farewell season
- Benedict Cumberbatch tries to walk like Beyonce; let the memes begin...
- ’Supernatural,' 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Newsroom,' more fresh TV spoilers
- 'Once Upon a Time': Lana Parrilla and Jennifer Morrison preview SwanQueen episode
- Brad Pitt talks 'Fury' (or is that 'Furry'?) on 'Between Two Ferns'