With Amy Winehouse‘s career in the toilet, 2008 was all about the search for the next big throwback soul sensation. Duffy, Adele, and Robin Thicke dropped hot retro singles, but only Raphael Saadiq released a truly cohesive and thoroughly enjoyable body of work that pays tribute to the golden era of iconic soul labels like Motown, Stax, and Hot Wax. From start to finish, the former Tony! Toni! Toné! frontman’s critically acclaimed yet commercially overlooked third studio CD, The Way I See It, is a foot-tapping, finger-snapping delight–and he’s got three Grammy nominations to prove it, including a nod for Best R&B Album. If you’re still looking for a last-minute stocking stuffer, this is it.
Raphael Saadiq's 'The Way I See It': Most overlooked CD of the year
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Game of Thrones' team: 7 seasons is the plan
- 'Between Two Ferns': How Obama clip happened
- Chris Harrison's 'Bachelor' blog: 'After the Final Rose'
- 'Bachelorette': Andi expectations?
- 'Veronica Mars': 10 essential episodes
- Charlaine Harris' 'Midnight Crossroad': New teaser
- 'Flash': First look at full-body costume
- Justin Bieber: 'Ordinary People' dance with Selena?