With Amy Winehouse‘s career in the toilet, 2008 was all about the search for the next big throwback soul sensation. Duffy, Adele, and Robin Thicke dropped hot retro singles, but only Raphael Saadiq released a truly cohesive and thoroughly enjoyable body of work that pays tribute to the golden era of iconic soul labels like Motown, Stax, and Hot Wax. From start to finish, the former Tony! Toni! Toné! frontman’s critically acclaimed yet commercially overlooked third studio CD, The Way I See It, is a foot-tapping, finger-snapping delight–and he’s got three Grammy nominations to prove it, including a nod for Best R&B Album. If you’re still looking for a last-minute stocking stuffer, this is it.
Raphael Saadiq's 'The Way I See It': Most overlooked CD of the year
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Kurt Sutter reveals how many club members will die
- 'Utopia': Meet the cast of new reality series
- EWwy Awards 2014 winners are...
- Pierce Brosnan's got game? 007 vs. Jimmy Fallon in a round of 'Goldeneye'
- Lindsay Lohan selfie with Tina Fey teases EW's fall 'Mean Girls' reunion
- Angelina Jolie on 'Unbroken': Telling Louis Zamperini's story 'a giant responsibility'
- 'Wahlburgers'...or glimpse at real-life 'Entourage'? First Look
- 'NCIS' casts Stephanie Jacobsen; a new love interest for DiNozzo?
Top 5 Most Read
- Stephanie Jacobsen joins 'NCIS'... as a love interest for DiNozzo?
- David Letterman airs Robin Williams tribute
- Angelina Jolie on 'Unbroken': This story is 'a giant responsibility'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' gets official book -- and series finale air date
- Love it or loathe it? EW debates Taylor Swift's 'Shake It Off'