How this under-appreciated French band scored a high-profile slot on SNL is a source of some mystery, but they certainly made the most of the unexpected opportunity. I’ve been obsessively playing an advance of their excellent new album, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (due May 26), over and over in the office, and they totally pulled off the rich-and-tricky pop sound of two album highlights, "Lizstomania" and "1901." Check out the clips below, and if you like what you hear you can buy the studio versions right now on a four-track EP the band just released on iTunes.
Phoenix rises on 'Saturday Night Live'
Latest Videos in Music
- 'SNL': How'd Cameron Diaz do?
- Tyler James Williams' 'Walking Dead' preview: 'We're going back to get the squad'
- 'Hobbit' First Look: Billy Boyd music video for the 'Last Goodbye' closing theme
- Stephen Merchant answers burning Q's about 'Hello Ladies: The Movie' (including THAT cameo)
- 20 platonic movie/TV power couples
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': 7 biggest changes from page to screen
- 'Mockingjay--Part 1': A movie, or just an extended prologue for the movie yet to come?
- 'Mockingjay': Hear Jennifer Lawrence sing 'The Hanging Tree'
Top 5 Most Read
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- Bodies of Work: 49 Unforgettable Nude Scenes
- Cameron Diaz hosts 'Saturday Night Live' this weekend -- talk about it here!
- Harry Potter's Hogwarts Alums: Ranking Achievements Three Years Later
- Bobby Moynihan: Drunk Uncle, Aunt Linda, and Stefon are one big family