How this under-appreciated French band scored a high-profile slot on SNL is a source of some mystery, but they certainly made the most of the unexpected opportunity. I’ve been obsessively playing an advance of their excellent new album, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (due May 26), over and over in the office, and they totally pulled off the rich-and-tricky pop sound of two album highlights, "Lizstomania" and "1901." Check out the clips below, and if you like what you hear you can buy the studio versions right now on a four-track EP the band just released on iTunes.
Phoenix rises on 'Saturday Night Live'
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Super Bowl's Greatest Commercials' is big winner in ratings
- 'Game of Thrones' IMAX ticket sales show surprising surge
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' song from Sia: Hear 'Salted Wound'
- 'Fantastic Four' trailer takes some cues from 'Interstellar'
- Larry Wilmore on 'Sniper': 'theater of war is very different than watching a film about war in a theater'
- Tyrese's 2020 vision on Instagram: Can you see him as Green Lantern?
- 'Bachelor'; 'Celebrity Apprentice'; 'Jane the Virgin'; 'Sleepy Hollow'; 'Originals'; 'Gotham' recaps
- TV pilots now in the works for fall 2015--do you spot any winners?