How this under-appreciated French band scored a high-profile slot on SNL is a source of some mystery, but they certainly made the most of the unexpected opportunity. I’ve been obsessively playing an advance of their excellent new album, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (due May 26), over and over in the office, and they totally pulled off the rich-and-tricky pop sound of two album highlights, "Lizstomania" and "1901." Check out the clips below, and if you like what you hear you can buy the studio versions right now on a four-track EP the band just released on iTunes.
Apr 6 2009 04:10 PM ET
Phoenix rises on 'Saturday Night Live'
- 'Wolverine'/Summer Must List: EW cover
- 'Star Wars': A lifesize LEGO X-wing?!
- Robert Kirkman previews un-'Dead' comic
- 'X-Men': Evan Peters in as Quiksilver
- Apolo Anton Ohno's 'Minute to Win It': Clip
- 'SNL': Best host of 2012-13? YOU say it's...
- Benedict Cumberbatch in 'Trek' shower?!
- 'Hangover III,' 'F&F 6,' more EW reviews