So, the LOL connoisseurs over at Videogum have unearthed a clip of an earnest young a cappella group covering the Lonely Island's classic seafaring shanty "I'm on a Boat" in a stairwell. Videogum seems to believe that this activity makes the kids in the clip "nerds." True? Yes, technically, I suppose that translating Andy Samberg raps into collegiate a cappella form is deeply nerdy on several levels. Yet I feel compelled to point out that there is NOTHING about this clip that is not so, so awesome. These nerds know their material. They are hilarious! And besides, isn't the whole point of the Lonely Island's music to be as ridiculously dorky as possible? I thank Videogum for bringing this wonderful clip to my attention, but its creators ought to be celebrated, not mocked. Grab your nautical-themed pashmina afghan and a flute of Santana DVX, take a look below (NSFW language, beware), and let us know if you agree.
'I'm on a Boat' a cappella: Even funnier than the original?
Latest Videos in Music
- Chris Harrison's 'Bachelor' blog: 'After the Final Rose'
- 'Bachelorette': Andi expectations?
- Charlaine Harris' 'Midnight Crossroad': New teaser
- 'Veronica Mars': 10 essential episodes
- 'Flash': First look at full-body costume
- Justin Bieber: 'Ordinary People' dance with Selena?
- Jaimie Alexander previews 'Agents of SHIELD'
- President Obama goes 'Between Two Ferns'