Crystal Bowersox popped up on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno last night to perform 4 Non Blondes’ “What’s Up,” a song she never tackled during her American Idol season 9 run. Crystal being Crystal, she was vocally terrific, and the ease she brought to Fox’s ubiquitous singing competition translated to the late-night talk-show universe without the slightest hitch. But don’t take my word for it: Check out the beaming face of the backup singer at the -1:13 mark, or the grin on band leader Rickey Minor’s mug at -1:42, then try to suppress your own smile when Crystal gets her holler on and soars over the chorus at -0:55. Gorgeousox indeed! As an unrepentant Idoloonie, I can’t wait to see Crystal on the Idols Live tour (even if, to put it politely, I’m not exactly bursting with anticipation for the entirety of the 10-act bill).
That said, the fact that Crystal is hitting the promotional circuit with “What’s Up” is a good indicator she’ll probably include it on her summer set list. (I’ve got a call in to reps for the singer as well as the Idol tour to confirm.) And that got me thinking: What other songs do you want to see Crystal tackling live? Under the blind belief that tour organizers will give her a six-song set, here are my picks:
* Janis Joplin’s “Me and Bobby McGee” (when it’s all said and done, her signature Idol number by a nose over “Up to the Mountain”)
* The Rolling Stones’ “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” (based on my iTunes play-count, my personal season 9 fave)
* 4 Non Blondes’ “What’s Up”
* Self-penned “Holy Toledo” (we heard snippets during her hometown visit; now it’s time to hear the whole enchilada)
* Adam Lambert’s “Whataya Want From Me” (Crystal did express during her Idolatry interview — embedded below the Tonight Show clip — that she’d like to duet with Adam…why not butter him up with a little live homage? Plus, it’s a damn good song.)
* Guns N’ Roses’ “Welcome to the Jungle” (MamaSox did just move to L.A.; plus, somebody’s got to go and rock the Swaybots’ faces off)
Okay, you’ve got my wish list for Crystal’s tour set, now it’s your turn. Drop your suggestions in the comments section below! And to get all my Idol news and commentary, follow me on Twitter @EWMichaelSlezak; while you’re at it, sign up for the Music Mix feed @EWMusicMix!
p.s. Crystal Tweeted this morning that her Leno rendition of “What’s Up” was indeed a sneak preview of her set list.
p.p.s. Everything got signed, sealed, and delivered — officially! — yesterday: Crystal is signed to 19 Recordings/Jive Records.
More on ‘Idol’ and from EW.com’s Music Mix:
‘American Idol’ to change name to ‘The Search for the Next Justin Bieber’?
Singer Vanessa Carlton reveals she’s ‘a proud bisexual woman’
Jimmy Buffett, Kenny Chesney, and Zac Brown to play show in support of the Gulf Coast
Lil Wayne pleads guilty to Arizona drugs and gun charge
Radiohead ‘at the finishing line’ on new album, guitarist says