Sadly, Prince fans weren’t able to party like it’s 1999 this weekend: A pre-Super Bowl concert headlined by the musician was canceled just hours before ticket-buyers were set to pack the theater. According to the Associated Press, the concert — which was to be held Friday at TheEvent to benefit arts group The Goss-Michael Foundation — was halted for unknown reasons. First, The Goss-Michael foundation blamed the organizer for its cancellation in a statement early Friday (“It is our understanding that River Alexander Group, the event organizer, was unable to fund and produce the evening,” it said in a statement), then retracted their comments, insisting that Price had arrived in Dallas and that the show would go on. Prince, however, reportedly did not receive transportation to the event from the show’s organizers, and he was unable to get to the venue. Tickets cost upwards of $1,500; though ticket-holders will be reimbursed, Chris Arnold, the emcee and organizer of the event, told the AP: “I just want to let everybody know that I am truly sorry.”
Prince's pre-Super Bowl concert halted last-minute
Latest Videos in Music
- Jon Favreau's 'Chef': Tasty starter for SXSW
- 27 DreamWorks animated movies: We rank 'em
- 10 signs you're watching a Wes Anderson movie
- 'Vampire Diaries': A salute to Katherine
- 'Reign': What did 'uncensored' sex scenes add?
- 'Need for Speed' cast's abused cars
- Seth MacFarlane: Inside the new 'Cosmos' ship
- 'Reign'-ing sound? TV tunes of the week
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Reign': Are the uncensored sex scenes all that different?
- Second time around: TV stars who reprised iconic roles
- Fox renews 'Mindy Project,' 'The Following,' more
- Dr. Burke returns to 'Grey's Anatomy': What will happen?
- 'Vampire Diaries': Say goodbye to Katherine Pierce by reliving some of her best moments -- VIDEO