Even though chaos often reigned at Nirvana shows, they were often technically proficient. “Kurt was a great musician and a great guitar player, and because he had such an excellent voice, that tends to overshadow his guitar playing,” Pavitt explains. The opening night of the tour was cut short thanks to Kurt’s gear problems and his near-leap from a speaker stack, but like the rest of the shows on this run, it was a strong showing for them. “It’s interesting to note that at almost every show, they would break down and do some cover, whether it was Captain Beefheart, the B-52s, the Stooges. So not only were they well rehearsed, but they were well versed in alternative music history, and they could bust out a wide variety of covers. Kurt was as versed in alternative music as anybody, and I take great pride in the fact that he was a good student.”
'Experiencing Nirvana': Check out never-before-seen photos of Kurt Cobain on Nirvana's first tour of Europe - EXCLUSIVE
Latest Videos in Music
- William Hurt exits 'Midnight Rider'
- 'Jurassic World' First Look: 3 new photos
- 'Parks and Rec' finale: Watch the opening scene
- 'Reign': Watch Bash's first sex scene
- 'Orange Is the New Black': Watch how season 2 starts
- 'Orange Is the New Black' is on the new EW cover
- Laura Prepon on 'Orange': 'Alex fits me like a glove'
- Avril Lavigne's 'Hello Kitty': Purr-plexed?
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 607
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 486
- Slaves to Love 460
- The Man Who Could Not Stand Still 507
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 381
Top 5 Most Read
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'I feel like I'm just now starting to learn how to write it' -- LISTEN
- 'Friends' creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane look back at the finale -- and why they won't do a reunion show
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show'
- HBO makes huge Amazon Prime deal: See which shows are going online
- Courteney Cox shuts down talk of 'Friends' reunion on 'Letterman' -- VIDEO