Cobain, seen here with Sub Pop co-founder Jonathan Poneman, was often quiet and subdued, though all you had to do to get him going was mention one of his favorite artists. “It was really interesting to see these different personalities on the tour. It was like a little soap opera of sorts. They all had their little quirks, and Kurt was the shy sensitive one,” Pavitt notes. “But Kurt loved talking about music. The musicians involved in the indie culture were music geeks who got together to perform music as a hobby, not as a career option. Even after Nevermind, Kurt kept talking about people like Daniel Johnston and Shonen Knife—the true outsiders, the fringe of the fringe. That’s part of what made Nirvana so revolutionary.”
'Experiencing Nirvana': Check out never-before-seen photos of Kurt Cobain on Nirvana's first tour of Europe - EXCLUSIVE
Latest Videos in Music
- 20 most compelling actor/director teams now
- Sarah Paulson on 'AHS: Freak Show': 'something happens in the very first episode that's crazy'
- 3 'Big Brother' Q's for Julie Chen (and one on her Secrets Week reveal)
- Frankie's 'Big Brother' regret? 'Trusting Caleb. Period.'
- 'This Is Where I Leave You' review: Reunited and it feels so...schmaltzy
- 'Survivor' scouting report: John Rocker's plan if he's recognized?
- C-3PO's 'Star Wars' past, present, and future: A deep-dive Q&A with Anthony Daniels
- Jennifer Lawrence-Bradley Cooper film 'Serena' gets U.S. distributor
- No Blood On His Hands 597
- Famed James Bond villain Richard Kiel dies at 74 565
- Discovery to strand Democrat and Republican senators on deserted island 484
- The glimmering crocodile tears of Princess Victoria, First of Her Name 475
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks 435
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Breaking Bad,' 1 year later: Emmy-winning team tells 'Ozymandias' secrets
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- Frankie of 'Big Brother' says he does not regret pushing the Rewind button and wants to marry Zach
- '7th Heaven' cast, minus Ruthie, reunites
- 'Dancing With the Stars' recap: No second chance for a second dance