Cobain, seen here with Sub Pop co-founder Jonathan Poneman, was often quiet and subdued, though all you had to do to get him going was mention one of his favorite artists. “It was really interesting to see these different personalities on the tour. It was like a little soap opera of sorts. They all had their little quirks, and Kurt was the shy sensitive one,” Pavitt notes. “But Kurt loved talking about music. The musicians involved in the indie culture were music geeks who got together to perform music as a hobby, not as a career option. Even after Nevermind, Kurt kept talking about people like Daniel Johnston and Shonen Knife—the true outsiders, the fringe of the fringe. That’s part of what made Nirvana so revolutionary.”
'Experiencing Nirvana': Check out never-before-seen photos of Kurt Cobain on Nirvana's first tour of Europe - EXCLUSIVE
Latest Videos in Music
- William Hurt exits 'Midnight Rider'
- 'Jurassic World' First Look: 3 new photos
- 'Parks and Rec' finale: Watch the opening scene
- 'Reign': Watch Bash's first sex scene
- 'Orange Is the New Black': Watch how season 2 starts
- 'Orange Is the New Black' is on the new EW cover
- Laura Prepon on 'Orange': 'Alex fits me like a glove'
- Avril Lavigne's 'Hello Kitty': Purr-plexed?
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show' 607
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'There isn't a single episode of television I've written that I don't wish I could get back and do again' 486
- Slaves to Love 460
- The Man Who Could Not Stand Still 507
- Facebook campaign asks for crew boycott as 'Midnight Rider' production resumes 381
Top 5 Most Read
- Aaron Sorkin apologizes for 'The Newsroom': 'I feel like I'm just now starting to learn how to write it' -- LISTEN
- 'Friends' creators Marta Kauffman and David Crane look back at the finale -- and why they won't do a reunion show
- Colbert shows Letterman his real personality on 'Late Show'
- HBO makes huge Amazon Prime deal: See which shows are going online
- Courteney Cox shuts down talk of 'Friends' reunion on 'Letterman' -- VIDEO