Carly Rae Jepsen
“That was an idea from two of our writers, John Haskell and Mike DiCenzo. They had this idea where the Roots play a version of a song with just instruments you’d find in a classroom, like xylophone, woodblock, and recorder. So I said I love it, and they said they knew Carly Rae Jepsen was coming and what if we asked her to do a version of ‘Call Me Maybe’? Her people said she’d love to do it. So we did it in one take, with one camera. That’s the green room where the musicians hang out before they’re on our stage. She just nailed it and showed everybody she could actually sing. Even people who hated that song watched it and said, ‘Wait a minute, she can sing! This is kind of fun.’ I remember saying to Questlove, ‘We look like the Muppets!’ We were kind of shaking in all different directions, and when the beat kicks in, everyone was kind of jumping around and dancing. And I think it made people love and appreciate the song even more after that, and it stayed number one for an extra month or something. It was already overplayed, so the fact that we made people play it even more was like, ‘You sons of bitches. I just got that song out of my head. Why would you do this?’ But it’s a great pop song, and it deserved it. That video went uber viral. I think the only thing that got more hits than that was ‘Slow Jam the News’ with the President of the United States. That was the most viral thing we’ve ever done. So it’s the President and Carly Rae Jepsen.”
Jimmy Fallon talks about his show's biggest moments by this year's Grammy nominees
(Page 3 of 5)
Carly Rae Jepsen
Latest Videos in Music
- Peter Capaldi, that's 'Who': See the new EW cover
- Allison Williams to play Peter Pan in NBC's live musical
- 'Batman v Superman' Comic-Con preview: Don't look for it online
- 'Walking Dead' cast not tight-lipped about season 5 trailer
- Comic-Con 2014 star portraits
- 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover: Watch 5 minutes
- 'New Girl' True American drinking game: The day I gave it a shot...
- 'Pretty Little Liars' recap: 'Scream for Me'
Top 5 Most Read
- 'The Walking Dead' cast and producers promise that 'every single thing in the first episode is a spoiler'
- What does an episode of 'Friends' look like without any jokes?
- TV Land orders Jim Gaffigan's CBS sitcom pilot to series
- PopWatch Confessional: I tried to play 'New Girl's fake drinking game
- Paramount deletes tweet of Australian 'TMNT' poster amid 9/11 controversy