Miley Cyrus gets down with Madonna, covers Dolly at MTV Unplugged session: On the scene
Miley Cyrus brought some of her Nashville roots to her MTV Unplugged special airing tonight -- and had a special material cowgirl join in the Hollywood Hoedown.
Unplugged is known, of course, for offering an intimate environment for artists like Nirvana, Bob Dylan,and Jay Z to play classic songs from their catalogs, often with a smattering of covers. The question in Los Angeles last night was, would Cyrus be able to control her wrecking ball in that supposedly more subdued setting?
Yeah, we didn't think so either. Of course, no cowboy-themed festivity would be complete without a giant costume horse, so Miley has one of those onstage -- and as expected, she twerked all over it. (The dancers inside the horse seemed to really be enjoying it though; then again, they probably had no choice.)
Cyrus said having her own Unplugged special was a dream come true, and thanked MTV for letting her do one, calling them "brave." Her Bangerz tour doesn't kick off until Feb. 14 in Vancouver, so this was the first time many of the songs from that album have been performed live. Miley honored her godmother Dolly Parton by playing one of her hits -- you'll have to tune in tonight to find out which, since the song list is embargoed until it airs -- and sporting a svelte pink plaid jumpsuit with a short blond bob wig.
"Today is one of those days when it's easy to get out of bed," Cyrus told the crowd of family and friends, referring to the fact that she got to perform with one of her idols, Madonna. The two closed out the set with a mashup (still can't tell, sorry) that just may rival Madonna and Britney's infamous VMA kiss.
Who knew Miley and Madonna were such close friends? I mean, I assume only close friends would slap each other's butts on national television and do some pretty risqué line dancing. Madonna, dressed in all black, presented Cyrus with cowboy hat to go with her sparkling ripped denim and bikini top. Cyrus said you can look at life two ways; half clothed or half naked. Either way, she's pretty great unplugged.
Miley Cyrus: MTV Unplugged airs tonight at 9 p.m. ET. and check out Miley's interview with MTV News after the performance below:
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Survivor' scouting report: John Rocker's plan if he's recognized?
- Rembrandts are there for 'Friends' fans at N.Y. pop-up Central Perk
- Frankie's 'Big Brother' regret? 'Trusting Caleb. Period.'
- 'Sons of Anarchy'; 'New Girl'; 'Mindy Project'; 'Utopia'; 'Big Brother'; 'DWTS' recaps
- Fall TV 2014: EW critics pick 6 new series to watch
- C-3PO's 'Star Wars' past, present, and future: A deep-dive Q&A with Anthony Daniels
- Julianna Margulies and Jimmy Fallon sing the High School Announcement Hits
- 'Texas Chain Saw Massacre' outtakes unearthed for 40th anniversary collector's set
- No Blood On His Hands 550
- Famed James Bond villain Richard Kiel dies at 74 551
- Discovery to strand Democrat and Republican senators on deserted island 484
- The glimmering crocodile tears of Princess Victoria, First of Her Name 475
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks 416
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Breaking Bad,' 1 year later: Emmy-winning team tells 'Ozymandias' secrets
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- Frankie of 'Big Brother' says he does not regret pushing the Rewind button and wants to marry Zach
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'Toil and Till'
- Tom Hiddleston to star in King-Kong spin-off, 'Skull Island'