The past decade of music retail have been dominated by two things: the MP3 and Apple. But an ever-expanding field of new digital platforms are changing all of that by offering huge libraries of music available in all-you-can-eat plans — which make the idea of buying MP3s suddenly seem as outdated as buying CDs seemed when the first iPod dropped in 2001. There’s a war brewing over the market for music streaming, as well as the subscription fees these companies are hoping you’ll pay for it. As industry giants like Apple and Amazon have begun joining the battle, things are starting to heat up.
Tag: Amazon (1-2 of 2)
Chris Brown has definitely found fame in many senses (not all desirable), and now the R&B crooner can add to his fortune.
After months of too-soon hype, false starts, and one epic bottle-throwing fight, the controversial Breezy saw his fifth album Fortune land at the No. 1 spot of this week’s Billboard charts (not exactly a breezy(!) ride to the top).
The new Brown album sold 134,000 copies in its first week, a significant drop from the 270,000 in debut-week sales of his previous album, last year’s F.A.M.E. While Fortune outsold the other non-Frank Ocean R&B contender of the season — Usher’s Looking 4 Myself (which sold 128,000 in its first week) — it should be noted that the alleged bottle tosser Brown competed mainly against a flurry of older albums that Amazon was dispensing at 99 cents a pop — a price so unusually cheap, Music Mix couldn’t even locate the proper “cent” symbol on the keyboard.
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Gotham' up, 'Selfie' down? Insiders predict fall TV rookie prospects
- 20 most compelling actor/director teams now
- 'Big Brother' recap: Final three houseguests are...
- Sarah Paulson on 'AHS: Freak Show': 'something happens in the very first episode that's crazy'
- 'Red Band Society' debuts: First impressions?
- 'Top Chef Duels' recap: Nyesha Arrington vs. Jennifer Carroll
- Kunal Nayyar sings Boyz II Men on 'Queen Latifah Show': Sneak peek
- 'This Is Where I Leave You' review: Reunited and it feels so...schmaltzy
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- 'The Walking Dead' star Andrew Lincoln says to fear the beard in season 5
- '7th Heaven' cast, minus Ruthie, reunites
- Frankie of 'Big Brother' says he does not regret pushing the Rewind button and wants to marry Zach
- 'Breaking Bad,' 1 year later: Emmy-winning team tells 'Ozymandias' secrets