The past decade of music retail have been dominated by two things: the MP3 and Apple. But an ever-expanding field of new digital platforms are changing all of that by offering huge libraries of music available in all-you-can-eat plans — which make the idea of buying MP3s suddenly seem as outdated as buying CDs seemed when the first iPod dropped in 2001. There’s a war brewing over the market for music streaming, as well as the subscription fees these companies are hoping you’ll pay for it. As industry giants like Apple and Amazon have begun joining the battle, things are starting to heat up.
Tag: Amazon (1-2 of 2)
Chris Brown has definitely found fame in many senses (not all desirable), and now the R&B crooner can add to his fortune.
After months of too-soon hype, false starts, and one epic bottle-throwing fight, the controversial Breezy saw his fifth album Fortune land at the No. 1 spot of this week’s Billboard charts (not exactly a breezy(!) ride to the top).
The new Brown album sold 134,000 copies in its first week, a significant drop from the 270,000 in debut-week sales of his previous album, last year’s F.A.M.E. While Fortune outsold the other non-Frank Ocean R&B contender of the season — Usher’s Looking 4 Myself (which sold 128,000 in its first week) — it should be noted that the alleged bottle tosser Brown competed mainly against a flurry of older albums that Amazon was dispensing at 99 cents a pop — a price so unusually cheap, Music Mix couldn’t even locate the proper “cent” symbol on the keyboard.
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Survivor': Ex-MLB pitcher John Rocker and girlfriend to play
- 'Pretty Little Liars'; 'Bachelor in Paradise' recaps
- 'Sons of Anarchy' shares new, appropriately unsettling photos and portraits
- Emmys 2014: How it made a big year for TV feel small
- Chris Harrison on 'Bachelor in Paradise' episode 5 arrivals and departures
- Kristin Bauer van Straten returning to 'Once Upon a Time' as Maleficent
- 'Simpsons' marathon guide: 11 great episodes from season 13 and later
- Homer Simpson takes the Ice Bucket Challenge
Top 5 Most Read
- New 'Sons of Anarchy' photos are appropriately unsettling
- 'Pretty Little Liars' season finale recap: 'Taking This One to the Grave'
- 'True Blood' star Kristin Bauer van Straten returning to 'Once Upon a Time' for major arc
- Watch Sara Bareilles sing 'Smile' for the Emmys' In Memoriam segment
- The 55 Essential Movies Kids Must Experience (Before They Turn 13)