Childish Gambino’s Deep Web Tour Hit L.A.’s Shrine Auditorium last night where the Community star/hyper-self-aware rapper dished out an energetic two hour set to a sold out crowd. Check out what you missed if you didn’t make it out to the show below:
Tag: Donald Glover (1-4 of 4)
Here’s the bad news, Community fans: Though he will be appearing on the unlikely fifth season of Community, Donald Glover isn’t going to be around as much. But the good news is that part of the reason he is stepping back is so he can focus on his music career as rapper Childish Gambino.
Glover has been steadily showing up on tracks and releasing new music since his debut album, Camp, dropped in 2011 (his Royalty mixtape was one of the best of 2012, and not just because it featured the rap debut of Tina Fey), but he’s got a proper follow-up coming out soon, and he just made a track called “Centipede” available as a free download.
“Centipede” is a pretty nutty track, opening with some a cappella scatting before giving way to a spacey beat built around a chunky piano riff and Glover’s confident delivery. From a performance standpoint, Childish Gambino is all the things we love about Kanye West without all the messianic self-aggrandizing. Give “Centipede” a listen (and download it gratis) below: READ FULL STORY
How did you spend your Independence Day? Community star Donald Glover performed in London (TURNCOAT!) to celebrate the release of his brand new, absolutely free mixtape Royalty. Go ahead and download it here.
Royalty follows up Gambino’s 2011 label debut Camp, an incredibly accomplished compilation that ranked as one of the best releases of last year. Save for a few moments, the only voice heard on Camp was Gambino’s, but Royalty flips the script by inviting along seemingly everybody the rapper/comedian has ever met. The guest list includes Wu-Tang Clan icons RZA and Ghostface Killah (appropriate considering Gambino got his nom-de-hip-hop from the Wu-Tang Name Generator), a handful of fellow underground sensations (Danny Brown, Schoolboy Q, Ab-Soul), and even Beck, who raps as though he never stopped.
The re-emergence of Beck on the mixtape (he also produces two tracks) would be a pretty big headline were it not for the debut of a woman new to the rap game: 30 Rock creator and former Glover employer Tina Fey, who drops in on the album-closing track “Real Estate” and is in fact the last voice heard on Royalty. Give it a spin below (and skip forward to the 4:50 mark if you want to get right to Fey’s contribution).
Ryan Adams, Donald Glover, and Michael McDonald audition for the Super Bowl in '30 Rock' webisode: Watch it here
Quick, what’s your favorite NBC theme song, and who do you want to see perform it?
Don’t spend too much time thinking of the answer, because only 30 Rock‘s Jack Donaghy has the power to actually make such pipe dreams happen.
In a new webisode of The Donaghy Files, the Alec Baldwin-voiced character gets the motley trio of Ryan Adams, Michael McDonald, and Childish Gambino (a.k.a. Donald Glover a.k.a. Troy from Community) to cover the beloved theme songs from Saved by the Bell, Knight Rider, and Passions (just go with it).
But why? He’s making them audition for the Super Bowl halftime show, owing to a fire-related injury that caused Madonna to drop out. So, who will sing which song, and who will win their way to the Super Bowl? Watch the video below to find out:
Latest Videos in Music
- 'SNL' recap: Cameron Diaz is a 'Back Home Baller'
- AMAs 2013 flashback: See how we graded last year's performances
- AMAs 2013 flashback: What the stars wore--and how we sized up their style
- 'Mockingjay' quiz: Test your smarts
- 'Jurassic World' teases Thanksgiving trailer: 3 nods to 'Jurassic Park'
- 'Hobbit' First Look: Billy Boyd music video for the 'Last Goodbye' closing theme
- Stephen Merchant answers burning Q's about 'Hello Ladies: The Movie' (including THAT cameo)
- 20 platonic movie/TV power couples
Top 5 Most Read
- See the exclusive music video for 'The Hobbit's 'Last Goodbye,' with Billy Boyd and goosebumps aplenty
- Times Change: 'Jurassic World' teases with three homages to Steven Spielberg's original
- 'Saturday Night Live' recap: 'Cameron Diaz and Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars'
- Bodies of Work: 49 Unforgettable Nude Scenes
- 'Hunger Games': Take the EW Trivia Quiz (Part 1)!