Speaking of Cali hip-hop, two of the most important figures in the contemporary L.A. rap scene, Kendrick Lamar and Flying Lotus, just revealed a surprising new collaborative single. The pair embody two of the dominant themes that have been bouncing around it recently: on one hand, a nostalgia-tinged re-engagement with the city’s gangsta rap history, and on the other, a psychedelic deconstructionist movement, influenced by cosmic free jazz, that’s doing to the boom bap what Ornette Coleman did to bebop. They may seem like artists with very disparate goals, but “Never Catch Me” shows that they’re more compatible than they may seem on the surface.
Tag: Flying Lotus (1-2 of 2)
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Maze Runner' finds its way to $11M on Friday
- Kim Kardashian as clingy extra-terrestrial hairball on 'American Dad': First Look
- 'Sleepy Hollow' sneak peek: Ichabod Crane meets a naked Ben Franklin
- 'This Is Where I Leave You' director Shawn Levy: 'I would love to live in this movie forever'
- J.Lo and Iggy Azalea extend the Summer of Butts with 'Booty' remix video
- 'Once Upon a Time' boss on 'Frozen' references: 'We want it to feel organic'
- 'Super Smash Bros.': The best/worst thing ever to happen to Nintendo
- 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Castle,' more fresh TV spoilers
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Kaley Cuoco explains why she chopped off her long locks
- 'Into the Woods' character names not getting Disney makeover (Updated)
- 'Once Upon a Time': Will Elsa 'Let It Go'? Or build a snowman?
- Entertainment Geekly: 'Super Smash Bros.' was the best and worst thing to happen to Nintendo
- J-Lo and Iggy continue the Summer of Butts with 'Booty' remix video