Jimi Hendrix would have been 70 today. He was born Johnny Allen Hendrix on Nov. 27, 1942 in Seattle. He died in London just 27 years later. But in that short time, he established himself as one of the most important figures in rock & roll history.
Tag: Jimi Hendrix (1-6 of 6)
2012’s been a busy year for Frank Ocean. The R&B singer released Channel Orange, a game-changing record that debuted at #2 on the Billboard 200. He played high-profile gigs at the MTV Video Music Awards and Saturday Night Live. He opened up about a failed romance with a man on his Tumblr.
Now the Odd Future affiliate, who was born Lonny Breaux, has spoken to GQ about his humble upbringing in New Orleans, his rapid ascent to stardom, and the post that could have potentially derailed his career. Here’s what we learned:
Soundgarden just released King Animal, their first album in 16 years. So what better way to celebrate than with a Q&A session that moderator and Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins called “the raddest garage party ever”??
Last night, at an event hosted by SiriusXM at the legendary Electric Lady Studios in Greenwich Village, the reunited Seattle rockers took part in an informal Q&A session, moderated by Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins. The venue is microscopic; there were maybe fifty people there, so needless to say, there wasn’t an un-close seat in the house.
Now, most musicians don’t go into the business for the press circuit. They’re usually roped into these events by their publicists in order to promote an album or a tour, and they tend to answer questions — nearly all of which they have been asked countless times — with marginal, rehearsed enthusiasm. You could tell there was an element of forced publicity in last night’s session, but the discussion was surprisingly lively and informative. READ FULL STORY
Who would’ve thought that Tupac Shakur would become one of 2012’s leading music industry figures?
Ever since Dr. Dre brought the dead rapper’s hologram to Coachella last April, the nation’s long-dormant love of holograms has come to the forefront. Not only did Dre toy with the idea of actually taking Faux Tupac on tour with him, but others got in on the virtual-resurrection action: TLC announced plans to project the late Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes on a Jumbotron during live shows, the Jackson Brothers have reportedly kicked around the idea of hitting the road with a Michael Jackson hologram, and an Elvis Presley hologram is already in the works.
And the beat goes on: It’s looking like Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, and even Marilyn Monroe might all “return” in hologram form soon. READ FULL STORY
Jimi Hendrix’s estate has a message for Andre 3000’s Hendrix movie: not so fast!
The estate has expressed their disapproval for the Hendrix biopic All Is by My Side, which had cast the OutKast rapper to play the lead role and had reportedly begun preproduction this week.
The movie hoped to depict Hendrix’s time in England circa 1966-67, around the time when he recorded his guitar epic Are You Experienced? Yet the guitar god’s estate has other ideas, as their following statement indicates:
We’d discussed it a long, long time ago, but now it’s finally happening.
Andre 3000 is set to play Jimi Hendrix in an upcoming biopic called All Is by My Side, the Irish Film and Television Network reported today. (Reps for Andre 3000 did not immediately respond to EW’s request for comment.)
The movie, which has reportedly already begun preproduction in Ireland, will be written and directed by John Ridley (Three Kings, U Turn) and shadow Hendrix’s 1966-67 stint in England, during which the guitar hero produced his now-classic album Are You Experienced?
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': About that ending and other spoiler-y Q's
- 'Doctor Who': 3 sneak peek pics from new episodes
- Wrestlers in movies: Best/worst performances
- Comic-Con '14: 20 bonus star portraits
- 12 who gained/lost weight for a role
- 'Supernatural,' 'Teen Wolf,' 'Mindy,' more fresh TV spoilers
- Anson Mount in 'The Breakfast Club': An EW Radio mini-production
- When A$AP Rocky went to NSFW Kathy's house...
- STAHP in the name of love 980
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams and other directors are working to save movie film 534
- DON'T PUBLISH See FIVE minutes of the 'Simpsons'-'Family Guy' crossover episode -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO 596
- Enough, already: Why I'm quitting 'The Leftovers' 463
- Box office report: 'Lucy' slays 'Hercules' with $44 million debut 285
Top 5 Most Read
- Quentin Tarantino, J.J. Abrams, and other directors are trying to save Kodak
- Box office preview: 'Guardians of the Galaxy' aims for a cosmic debut
- Comic-Con '14 Star Portraits: Day 3
- Chris Pratt talks end of 'Parks and Recreation': 'I think people are ready for it to be done'
- Comic-Con '14: 20 Bonus Star Portraits