The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced the list of induction nominees for 2015, including big names like The Smiths, Nine Inch Nails, Sting, and Lou Reed—the rock ‘n’ roll legend who died earlier this year after decades in the business, as the frontman for The Velvet Underground and a wildly successful solo artist. The 15 selections come from a wide variety of genres and decades—from ’60s Motown (The Marvelettes) and ’60s/’70s R&B (The Spinners), to ’70s disco (Chic) and ’80s hard rock (Joan Jett & The Blackhearts) and hip-hop (N.W.A.), up through contemporary pop-punk (Green Day).
Tag: Joan Jett (1-2 of 2)
Rush fans, your long-standing tradition of writing angry letters to music magazines may finally be coming to an end.
The Canadian prog icons are among the 15 nominees for the 2013 class of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They join Donna Summer, Public Enemy, Procol Harum, N.W.A, Randy Newman, the Meters, Kraftwerk, Albert King, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, the Marvelettes, Heart, Chic, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, and Deep Purple on the ballot. The names have been sent out to the mysterious cabal who votes for this thing, and the new class will be inducted at Los Angeles’ Nokia Theatre on April 18, 2013. For the first time ever, there will also be a fan ballot, which will allow those aforementioned Rush fans to shout about conspiracy theories in case their boys don’t make it in.
All told, that’s a pretty unusual collection of names, as there doesn’t seem to be any one artist who stands out as a slam dunk. Sure, plenty of those names made some great music, but there’s not an obvious legend among them around whom the ceremony can be built. For example, last year’s ballot included Guns N’ Roses and Beastie Boys, two canonical acts who were pretty clear inclusions.
This year’s batch will be an interesting referendum on how the voters feel about two groups who are deeply under-represented within the walls of the Hall of Fame: rappers and women. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Into the Woods'/Holiday Movie Preview: See 4 EW collector's covers
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'Greensleeves'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' director Paris Barclay talks 'Greensleeves': 'I'm screaming, More pain!'
- Disney animated films: Best/worst
- Nina Dobrev's crossover to 'The Originals': 5 new photos
- 'The Flash'; 'Agents of SHIELD'; 'The Voice'; 'Supernatural'; 'Marry Me'; more TV recaps
- First canceled show of 2014? Why networks are slow to drop ax this year
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Inbar Lavi on Jax-Winsome chemistry and her return