UPDATE: Bush sold out her 22 London shows in less than 15 minutes, but she’s not just popular with her fans — she’s also a critical success. The Q Awards, the U.K.’s annual music awards, announced this year’s honorees Tuesday and Bush scored two nods, one for Best Live Act and the other for Best Act in the World Today.
Tag: Kate Bush (1-3 of 3)
A mere 10 seconds into the new Kate Bush documentary Running Up That Hill—aired by the BBC last week in honor of the reclusive singer/songwriter’s first shows in 35 years—she’s described as “waiflike.” For decades, words like that have been used to sum up what Bush is all about. Too often, those attempts fixate on her physicality. Bush’s body of work , from her 1978 breakout hit “Wuthering Heights” to her latest album, 2011’s 50 Words for Snow,gets examined—but so does her body. And her gender. And, ironically, her introverted nature, which is probably why she prefers not to be examined at all.
Others in Running Up That Hill speak of Bush in terms that range from gender-coded (The Sex Pistols’ John Lydon calls her “hysterical”) to patronizing (her former collaborator Peter Gabriel calls her “a strange creature”). In their defense, they’re clearly trying to be complimentary–like anyone else, the friends and admirers who appear in the film are often at a loss for words when describing her music. And there is something intangible and otherworldly about Kate Bush; her vivid, innovative music videos from the ’70s and ’80s only boost her image as some dimension-traveling elf, hovering overhead while singing songs of magic and moonbeams. READ FULL STORY
You’ll have to be British or buy a pretty expensive airplane ticket to see her though; so far, she’s only confirmed 15 concerts at the Hammersmith Apollo in London, beginning Aug. 26.
The singer unofficially retired from touring after just one six-week run in the late ’70s for various reasons, including a fear of flying and the accidental death of her lighting director, 21-year-old Bill Duffield.
According to the London Telegraph, Bush, 55, has become the most popular search term on ticket selling site Viagogo since her announcement, beating out demand for tickets for the likes of Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, and Katy Perry.
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Vampire Diaries,' 'Once Upon a Time,' 'Castle,' more fresh TV spoilers
- 'The Maze Runner' review: Something W.C.K.D. this way comes
- Janet Jackson's 'Rhythm Nation 1814' at 25: The blueprint for modern R&B's golden age
- 'Super Smash Bros.': The best/worst thing ever to happen to Nintendo
- Salma Hayek in 'Everly': Director Joe Lynch on making 'Die Hard'-in-a-room
- 'Once Upon a Time' boss on 'Frozen' references: 'We want it to feel organic'
- 'Gotham' up, 'Selfie' down? Insiders predict fall TV rookie prospects
- Fall TV 2014: EW critics pick 6 new series to watch