UPDATE: Bush sold out her 22 London shows in less than 15 minutes, but she’s not just popular with her fans — she’s also a critical success. The Q Awards, the U.K.’s annual music awards, announced this year’s honorees Tuesday and Bush scored two nods, one for Best Live Act and the other for Best Act in the World Today.
Tag: Kate Bush (1-3 of 3)
A mere 10 seconds into the new Kate Bush documentary Running Up That Hill—aired by the BBC last week in honor of the reclusive singer/songwriter’s first shows in 35 years—she’s described as “waiflike.” For decades, words like that have been used to sum up what Bush is all about. Too often, those attempts fixate on her physicality. Bush’s body of work , from her 1978 breakout hit “Wuthering Heights” to her latest album, 2011’s 50 Words for Snow,gets examined—but so does her body. And her gender. And, ironically, her introverted nature, which is probably why she prefers not to be examined at all.
Others in Running Up That Hill speak of Bush in terms that range from gender-coded (The Sex Pistols’ John Lydon calls her “hysterical”) to patronizing (her former collaborator Peter Gabriel calls her “a strange creature”). In their defense, they’re clearly trying to be complimentary–like anyone else, the friends and admirers who appear in the film are often at a loss for words when describing her music. And there is something intangible and otherworldly about Kate Bush; her vivid, innovative music videos from the ’70s and ’80s only boost her image as some dimension-traveling elf, hovering overhead while singing songs of magic and moonbeams. READ FULL STORY
You’ll have to be British or buy a pretty expensive airplane ticket to see her though; so far, she’s only confirmed 15 concerts at the Hammersmith Apollo in London, beginning Aug. 26.
The singer unofficially retired from touring after just one six-week run in the late ’70s for various reasons, including a fear of flying and the accidental death of her lighting director, 21-year-old Bill Duffield.
According to the London Telegraph, Bush, 55, has become the most popular search term on ticket selling site Viagogo since her announcement, beating out demand for tickets for the likes of Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, and Katy Perry.
Latest Videos in Music
- Paul Thomas Anderson's L.A. movies: Cinematic peaks nurtured in the Valley
- 24 movies we're lining up for in 2015
- 19 TV shows we'll be checking out in 2015
- 20 albums we can't wait to hear in 2015
- 20 books we'll read in 2015
- Reese Witherspoon and Cheryl Strayed find the meaning of 'Wild'
- Stephen Colbert's 6 most awkward in-character interviews
- 'Empire Strikes Back' live-read: Ellen Page as Han Solo, Jessica Alba as Leia
Top 5 Most Read
- 'The Walking Dead' star Andrew Lincoln talks 'cruel' twist and reveals the true meaning behind the 'shut…
- 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst reacts to the winner, Reed's harsh comments, and the entire season
- 'Survivor' season finale recap: The Right Person Won
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur' finale: And the winner is...
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart': Jeff Probst gives exclusive intel on NEXT season