Andrew Garfield is about to swing back into cinemas clad in the blue and red spandex in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which opens on May 2. But before that, the soundtrack to the movie will arrive in stores — and now we have its first official single.
Tag: The Amazing Spider-Man (1-2 of 2)
'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' composer Hans Zimmer recruits Pharrell Williams, Johnny Marr, others for movie music supergroup
Hans Zimmer has never had any trouble crafting movie scores on his own. He has worked on over 150 movies, won himself an Oscar (for The Lion King, in 1995), and gave birth to the BWOOOM that just about every other movie composer has stolen.
But everybody needs a little company, and for the score to the forthcoming The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Zimmer went ahead and got himself a super group. According to Sony Pictures, Zimmer and director Marc Webb have recruited Pharrell Williams, former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr, Incubus’ Michael Einziger, and former Eurythmic/current blues revivalist Dave Stewart.
“Marc and I were talking about Spider-Man, and as the word got out, so many of our friends and musicians started calling us up, wanting to be a part of it, because they love Spider-Man,” Zimmer said in a statement. “That was the thing that united all of us the great love for Spider-Man. With all of these hugely talented people wanting to join us, it was Marc who said, ‘Why not start a band?’ Marc and I have had a great start jamming with everybody, and we still have a few surprises up our sleeve.”
Nobody is a stranger in this collective: Zimmer and Williams previously worked together on the music for Despicable Me and also at the 2011 Academy Awards ceremony, and Marr, Einziger, and Stewart have all lent their guitar playing talents to Zimmer scores in the past (on Inception, The Lone Ranger, and Madagascar 3, respectively).
The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which again stars Andrew Garfield as the web-slinger and welcomes Jamie Foxx as the villain Electro, will be in theaters on May 2, 2014.
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Into the Woods'/Holiday Movie Preview: See 4 EW collector's covers
- 'Sons of Anarchy' recap: 'Greensleeves'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' director Paris Barclay talks 'Greensleeves': 'I'm screaming, More pain!'
- Disney animated films: Best/worst
- Nina Dobrev's crossover to 'The Originals': 5 new photos
- 'The Flash'; 'Agents of SHIELD'; 'The Voice'; 'Supernatural'; 'Marry Me'; more TV recaps
- First canceled show of 2014? Why networks are slow to drop ax this year
- 'Sons of Anarchy': Inbar Lavi on Jax-Winsome chemistry and her return