yesterday’s Jay-Z post put it, “Muse will be by far the best act all weekend, learn about something before you talk about it.” Well, I’ve just come home from seeing Muse perform, and I can say I’ve learned that the British rockers might very well be the biggest, loudest, showiest act all weekend. But the best? That’s another question. Read why after the jump — plus my full report on seven other notable acts from Saturday afternoon and evening.Several ardent fans have already pre-emptively chastised me for underrating Coachella 2010′s night two headliners. As one commenter on
Tag: The Dead Weather (1-2 of 2)
Jack White's new alt-garage supergroup the Dead Weather made their splashy television debut last night on Conan, and I think I'm just going to have to come out and say it: I don't like them. At all.
The few tracks that have leaked from their forthcoming album Horehound (due July 14) struck me as aimless and noisy, and their lifeless performance on Conan did nothing to alter that opinion. A stringy-haired White was relegated to drums, with the Kills frontwoman Alison Mosshart taking center stage for the group's song "Hang You From the Heavens."
Mosshart's got charisma, but the repetitious whirring of the guitars and the track's obnoxious lyrics did her no favors. (Sample lyric: "I'd like to grab you by the hair and drag you to the devil." Uh, okaaay.)
As a semi-enthusiastic fan of both the White Stripes and the Raconteurs, my displeasure with the Dead Weather is both disappointing and surprising. There just doesn't seem to be anything special about their (generic) brand of dark-rock.
But what do you think, Mixers? Do you like the boozy intensity of Jack White's new band? Or do you prefer him in Stripes or as a Raconteur? Watch the performance below:
More from EW's Music Mix:
Beck working on covers album with MGMT, Devendra Banhart, Jamie Lidell, and more
Here We Go Magic: Grizzly Bear tour openers deserve their own spotlight
Jack White reveals plans for solo album; proves existence of own space-time continuum
Latest Videos in Music
- Mike Nichols, veteran director and Emmy/Grammy/Oscar/Tony winner, dies at 83
- Jon Hamm returning to 'Parks and Recreation'
- 'SNL': Amy Adams-One Direction; James Franco-Nicki Minaj; Martin Freeman-Charli XCX in December
- 'Cups' returns in 'Pitch Perfect 2' trailer
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' First Look: 10 photos from the movie and on the set
- 'Pitch Perfect 2': 10 things you need to know about the sequel
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' stars sparkle in new EW portraits
- 'Gotham' boss: 'We want to establish the canonical Gotham--and then start messing with people's minds'