Iggy Azalea is hitting the road in 2015—with Nick Jonas as her opener—and she has now revealed what stops she and Jonas will make as they travel from coast to coast.
Tag: Tinashe (1-3 of 3)
Aquarius, released this week, may be Tinashe’s first proper album, but she’s far from a rookie in the entertainment game. The 21-year-old singer got her start early as an actor, appearing in Robert Zemeckis’s CGI Christmas flick The Polar Express and the Bob Dylan-starring surrealist sci-fi project Masked and Anonymous before being recruited at age 14 to join a manufactured teen-pop group. That may not sound like a very auspicious start for a serious music career, but she says it was valuable nonetheless. “I think I learned a lot being in a situation where I wasn’t necessarily able to create music that was totally true to who I was or to present the person who I was,” she says over the phone from her home in Los Angeles.
If anything, her time in The Stunners helped give Tinashe a good idea of what she didn’t want to do when she struck out on her own. After the group split up in 2011 she started working on solo material in her home studio, sans record contract. “When you’re part a group,” she says, “it’s definitely a group effort, creatively. When I wasn’t signed to a record label I was free to make my own decisions. I definitely felt the need to create stuff on my own and just do things and make my own decisions and just put things out there. It was a really important step for me because it really opened the door so that now I have so much creative control in my art.”
Canadian DJ/producer Ryan Hemsworth has been making waves in the underground club scene for the past couple of years, but recently he’s taken a turn toward pop at the same time as pop’s been showing interest in the kind of spacey beats he specializes in. For his pristinely chill new single “One for Me,” he recruited R&B vocalist Tinashe (who you may know from her Schoolboy Q-featuring single “2 On,” which recently got an unofficial Drake remix) to add breathy vocals that recall the quieter side of the Aaliyah catalog. The video follows Hemsworth through a typical day of a buzzy young beatsmith in Montreal, which includes video chatting with a dog, cruising around town in a Lambo, and enjoying a plate of crudites. READ FULL STORY
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur': And the winner is...
- 'The Interview' nixed for Xmas theatrical release by Sony
- North Korea tied to Sony hack by U.S. intelligence, N.Y. Times reports
- 'The Interview' gets the hook; would a 'prestige' film have been pulled just the same?
- 'The 100' recap: 'Spacewalker'
- 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens': 10 things Andy Serkis can say now
- Peter Jackson and 'The Hobbit': Three-peating himself--until one shining moment at the end?
- Jenny Slate sings Fleetwood Mac as Marcel the Shell for 'Conan'
Top 5 Most Read
- 'The Voice' Season 7 winner is...
- 'The Voice' season finale recap: Live Finale
- Jason Reitman re-staging 'The Empire Strikes Back' with Aaron…
- 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst names the two favorites to win heading into tonight's finale
- 'Mythbusters' tackling 'The Simpsons' in season premiere -- exclusive