Could Aerosmith follow in the footsteps of Journey, Van Halen, and Styx to become the latest American rock band to lose its lead singer? Last Wednesday, Tyler gave an interview to Classic Rock magazine, saying he was pulling out of the group’s upcoming South American tour, deciding to focus on solo projects instead. On Friday, the group’s guitarist, Joe Perry, told the Las Vegas Sun that Tyler had quit returning his phone calls. If Tyler does in fact leave (to develop “Brand Tyler,” as he put it to Classic Rock), the band is said to be considering whether to carry on with a new lead vocalist. It’s a risky move, since Tyler’s voice is certainly one of a kind. But then again, so is Steve Perry’s, and Journey managed to find an uncanny soundalike on YouTube. But which entity is likely to have the more viable post-split career? For the Aerosmith fans out there, would you be more likely to remain a bigger fan of the band (assuming a new singer had the necessary chops), or would you join Team Tyler instead? Or should we all hold out hope that they’ll reconcile? It’s clear that their off-stage strife hasn’t ruined their live shows…yet.
Steven Tyler leaving Aerosmith? Who'd be better off?
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Amazing Race': Phil Keoghan previews Malaysia
- '300' sequel is weekend's No. 1 movie: $45M
- Lena Dunham hosts 'SNL': 'Girls' night
- 'Cosmos': Past vs. present, toward a better future?
- Oscars: What it's like to go with Jennifer Lawrence
- '24: Live Another Day' teaser: Jack vs. assassin
- 'Walking Dead': Lauren Cohan on Maggie and Glenn
- 'True Detective': Fun fan sites
Top 5 Most Read
- Fox renews 'Mindy Project,' 'The Following,' more
- Jennifer Lawrence's best friend wrote a behind-the-scenes account of Oscars night
- 'SNL' recap: Lena Dunham is just a girl, standing in front of an audience, asking them to like her
- Stacy Keibler marries tech entrepreneur Jared Pobre
- Lena Dunham hosts 'Saturday Night Live' this weekend: Talk about it here!