The string of impressive tracks that she’s released online over the past two years have established Kitty as an adept if controversial rapper (at least among people who can’t stand it when women make rap songs). But with her new EP Frostbite, she’s moved into more of a dance-pop space that sounds sort of like Britney Spears getting stoned and falling down a Tumblr rabbit hole. Her latest single, “Second Life,” is basically a chill-out techno song by an apparently brony-affiliated producer named PinkiePieSwear given a drum ‘n’ bass remix by Anamanaguchi’s Ary Warnaar, topped by Kitty’s now-trademark hypnotic vocals.
Tag: Kitty (1-4 of 4)
The rapper Kitty (formerly known as Kitty Pryde), gets called an “Internet rapper” a lot because she got her first break when the video for her song “Okay Cupid”–a cotton-candy-light slice of stoner rap showcasing a real if nontraditional flow–went viral amongst hipsters, hip-hop heads, and music critics, and because she has the standard online presence of a 21-year-old in this day and age.
But she has an offline life too, and it’s involved a good amount of travel between gigs. So before the biggest day of the year for traveling, she’s sharing a playlist designed for it.
“This playlist is 4 flying in airplanes or driving in cars when you feel weird,” she emails, “and basically every time I spend on a long flight or long car ride I’m either feeling weird or trying to forget that I’m sad.”
The Florida-born, NYC-based musician Kitty used to go by the name Kitty Pryde, and she used to be a rapper. Her 2012 song “Okay Cupid” was a pretty massive viral hit (its official video has nearly a million and a half views on YouTube) that brought her a decent amount of acclaim amidst an epic amount of hate from people who saw a young female rapper who didn’t seem interested in rapping about things that grouchy hip-hop fans are necessarily into as a sign of the impending apocalypse (or something).
Kitty still raps, but she’s broadened her overall approach and started moving toward straight-up pop, which considering the sing-songy flow she’s been showing off since “Okay Cupid” isn’t too drastic a leap. Last month she released an EP called Impatiens, which she quickly followed up with a new track, “Marijuana,” that now has a video. It’s her most successful stab at a pop song yet, with a bubbly, laid-back beat that fits the title well, plus a vocal part that ups the melodic quotient while still retaining just enough hip-hop inflection to make the track snap. The end result is a special kind of summer jam that forgoes the celebratory grooves that typify the genre in favor of an effortless chill that can act as mental air conditioning during ridiculously hot and humid days, which should come in handy very soon.
Check it out after the jump. READ FULL STORY
Kitty, “Second Life”
21-year-old young Florida rapper who became internet famous as Kitty Pryde and stubbornly—thankfully—refused to settle for meme-dom starts this one off with a whispery, “You make me this quiet thing I’m not used to being.” But it’s only her voice that’s hushed: The whooshing drum & bass beat offers all the evidence you need that she does as she pleases, even when that means potentially confusing both rap and EDM fans. (Not to mention the harassers she has so eloquently dispatched in the past.)
Latest Videos in Music
- 'Jurassic World' First Look: Chris Pratt rides with some raptors
- 'Empire Strikes Back' live-read: Ellen Page as Han Solo, Jessica Alba as Leia
- Spider-Woman: How cool is this new costume?
- Stephen Colbert's 6 most awkward in-character interviews
- 'Survivor': Anyone else enraged by that 'wicked stepmother' speech?
- 'Survivor' final five speaks (and blasts Reed)
- 'Game of Thrones' refashions Arya's look
- 'Fargo' season 2 scoop, including a peek at a page from the premiere's script
Top 5 Most Read
- 'Survivor' host Jeff Probst reacts to the winner, Reed's harsh comments, and the entire season
- 'The Walking Dead' star Andrew Lincoln talks 'cruel' twist and reveals the true meaning behind the 'shut…
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur' finale: And the winner is...
- 'Survivor' season finale recap: The Right Person Won
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart': Jeff Probst gives exclusive intel on NEXT season